Grain bowls are easy to make, perfect for a light dinner and you’ll want to prep extra to enjoy for lunch the next day. This one is with roasted veggies I love but feel free to customize it with your favorites.
What you need:
- 2 c cooked grain (I’m using farro)
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 pound of beets, peeled
- 1/2 a kohlrabi, peeled
- salad greens
- watermelon radish, peeled
- your favorite cheese
- salt & pepper
- favorite seasonings (I love our Vermont Maple Blend)
- Get creative and add whatever you’d like!
Cook your grain and cool on a plate. I used farro, it’s very easy to cook. Bring a small pot of water to a boil and add 1 cup of dry farro. Cook about 10 minutes, until al dente. Drain and spread out on a plate to cool.
Preheat oven to 400 F
Cut the carrots, beets, and kohlrabi into bite-sized pieces, coat with a light drizzle of oil and salt & pepper. Use a spice blend to add a little zest. I like to use different spices on each veggie, for the carrots I used used our Vermont Maple Blend. Bake for 20 minutes until golden. I recommend flipping the veggies halfway through the bake for even cooking.
Assemble your bowls! I make my lunch grain bowls the night before, so they are ready to go…even if I’m working from home. Start with a base of cooked farro, add your roasted veggies, greens, raw veggies, cheese, and anything else you’d like in your bowl. Remember we eat with our eyes, so make it really colorful! One other veggie you might want to add is roasted sprouted broccoli!
* If you add salad greens and are making this bowl for lunch the next day, please make a vinaigrette in a separate container and take it with you. There’s nothing worse than a slimy salad!