Gabriel was complaining that I don’t make basil pesto. Like never ever. I think there is enough basil pesto in the world, so I love experimenting with other greens. Tuscan kale is the sweetest variety of kale and the most tender. It makes a wonderful pesto. Maybe this recipe will change Gabriel’s mind…
What you need for the pesto, make about 1 cup
- Half a bunch of kale, stems removed
- 2 stalks spring garlic, or 3-4 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup oil, sunflower or olive
- Herbs: I’m using a pinch of Herb de Provence
- Salt & Pepper
What you need for the pizza:
- Savant ½ cup kale pesto
- 4 oz grated mozzarella cheese
- Half a cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 pizza crust, or homemade pizza dough
Heat oven to 450F, if you are using a pizza stone preheat with the oven.
Make the pesto by blitzing all the ingredients in a food processor. Spoon the pesto onto your crust then top with the grated cheese and the ricotta. Bake for about 10 minutes, until the crust is crisp and cheese is melted. If you don’t have a pizza stone, bake directly on the oven racks if you are using a pre-cooked crust. Serve warm!
You can use leftover pesto for pasta…or make 2 pizzas!